Saturday, December 6, 2008

Remember Me?

Hi Friends,

Remember me? I know it's been too long since I actually gave an update on me so I thought while I had a few quiet moments this afternoon, I better take the opportunity. Thank you for all your e-mails and comments wondering how we are and letting me know that you are still there praying for and thinking of me! It means
so much.

First...the baby is doing great. We had our 20 week ultrasound this past Monday and things looked really good. It's funny how when you go through what we have that you don't even look forward to what you may see on the screen. The questions you ask the tech now is things like, are the feet okay and not club feet? Do the hands look okay? Do you see any fluid around the brain? Are the four chambers of the heart there? Kailey and Allison went with us and I had a fear of that because of what they could see, but everything looked great. And when the Dr. said the baby is growing well and everything looks healthy the girls were so happy. Allison said on our way home the other day "Mommy if this baby lives and gets to come home....." It's heart breaking but reality for them. I have always been so thankful for the 7 hours we had with Mary Grace as some don't get anything, but more and more I have imagined what it would have been like to have had a little bit more time with her, to be able to walk into the front door from the hospital with her and have Kailey and Allison smother her. And I am starting to feel more comfortable in day dreaming about getting to bring this baby home and what it will be like to actually do the room and have the bassinet in our room ready for the baby to be here in our house. And when I am in a store and I hear that "newborn" cry my heart skips a beat and I imagine being able to hear that this time, feeling like it will be such a welcome sound and hoping that I do not get frustrated with that sound when I can't get it to stop:) Mary Grace didn't cry like that, she whimpered and I long to hear that cry.

At about week 18 I started to feel human again...I was really worried that I would never come back to myself but I am having more and more days of feeling good. I do have to face that my age is playing a role that I may not be able to do anything about:)JK.. But for the most part I feel good. I still have those days where I don't know what to do with myself and I know that I am suppose to be chasing an 11 month old around and it makes me feel lost. And now that I am starting to feel this little one kick and squirm which makes it feel more real, I see that hope that is in my future. Yes...I am still scared to look forward in fear of disappointment but I usually can quickly feel God pulling me back into the reality of my faith in Him. I realize that if He can bless me with 3 beautiful girls and to love me enough to give me Mary Grace at all...then I know His plans for me are good. How do people survive without Him and the hope we have in Him? I can't imagine!

I have taken Angie's lead (Poppy's mom) in "taking back Christmas" this year which is really putting me in the spirit. We are serving the families of Ronald McDonald House dinner this month with my neighbors and friends. Taking goodies to the nursing home. Helping to host our 3rd annual Happy Birthday Jesus party which includes bringing gifts to the community storehouse. Shopping for an angel from Salvation Army and hopefully more......and I can't express how great it feels to give - so much better than to receive. So...I encourage you if you haven't already started to get on board, it's never too late.

With all the good and blessings in my life, it's still so hard to be without Mary Grace. I am having a hard time sending or even thinking of my Christmas cards this year. Pictures of the girls seem void of our 3rd girl and a family picture isn't complete - this year the cards just may not happen. When I start to think of it, my mind shuts it down because nothing seems to include all of us. So...I am struggling with that. I was in WalMart today looking at Christmas decorations and my heart breaks...it breaks to not have a picture of Mary Grace at 11 months to put in a new ornament for her on the tree. To even know our tree is safe of her baby hands pulling it down this year makes it hurt to look a the tree at times. And to realize I don't have to shop for her, my 3rd girl is so hard. I plan to give a toy in her name, but we know it's not even close to filling that void I am talking of. I wanted someone so bad to see the tears in my eyes and to know that my little girl had died. To know that my life is void of her and always will be. I still struggle answering the question of how many kids do you have? I always include Mary Grace but no matter how I state it "I have one in Heaven, or my 3rd little girl died, or 3 girls and nothing else - I walk away feeling so yucky like I never feel right about how I have said it. If any of you guys have a way of saying it that makes you feel okay, or if you have ways of including your baby in Heaven in your Christmas cards or how you sign your names..please let me know. Maybe something will click for me.

Let me tell you and I would shout it if I could....God is so good. Through the good times and the bad, He is still so good. Through my darkest days I have never been alone. He has blessed me beyond anything that I deserve or could ever deserve and I am thankful every day for everything. I said at Thanksgiving it's so hard to find the balance in being sad and questioning why we do not have Mary Grace with us and to feel that bitterness of being cheated, and then to have that feeling of overwhelming gratitude for all that God has blessed us with and continues to bless us with. It's even the feeling of trying to find that balance that I am thankful for because without it, I would have never had Mary Grace. She is worth being in this position and God knows I will see her again, she will always be mine.

I am still praying for you all my friends. Even if I am not blogging or e-mailing as often, there isn't a day that goes by that I do not think of you and do not include you and everything going on in your life in my prayers. It's so wonderful to see the blessings that God is pouring on all of us. And if it's not as apparent in some of your lives, I have no doubt of God's good plan for you!! Jeremiah 29:11!!
My church is having a remembrance service Tuesday night. When I light the candle for Mary Grace I will be thinking of all you and your babies too - Mary Grace brought you to me and I am so thankful!
Thank you again for all your prayers....they are working...keep 'em coming!!

I wanted to share the picture of Mary Grace's head stone. I am so proud of it. It took 9 months but it was worth the wait. While in Kentucky at Thanksgiving we were able to see it since it has been placed. I know several of you have asked as it was something that had been bothering me. My sweet Uncle and Mom take care of it and it's such a comfort to know it is near my Grandma Hazlett. Love you all!


40 comments:

Anonymous said...

i've followed your story from the beginning. prayed and cried with you. and congratulations on the new baby. :)
here is an idea for a christmas card...I've seen a friend write all the names in the family and then end with her daughter who is in heaven.

Love, The -------- Family
Mom, Dad, sister, brother, brother
and Mary Owen always!

thought it was sweet.
julie
in brentwood, tn

Anonymous said...

Kim,
I somehow stumbled on your blog a few months ago and have been blessed by your story. God has truly used you and your family to teach me and remind me of how precious life is. I ache for you as you miss Mary Grace but I am joyful that you were able to spend 7 hours with her and that your faith in the Lord continues to carry you through. I am glad that you got a moment to update us on your life- I have been praying for you since your last post hoping that everything is well and knowing that you are leaning on the assurance of our Savior. Congratulations on the new baby!! Know that I am thinking of you and praying for you.

Just Me said...

Well, I DEFINITELY remember you :o) I HAVE, however, been wondering how you were doing :o) It is nice to hear how things have been going...the good times and the difficult ones. Mary Grace's head stone is beautiful! So glad you posted some pictures of it.

Prayers to you and your family,
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the update. I am so thankful that things are going well with the new baby and will continue to pray for your entire family.

The headstone is just beautiful. Amazing, actually.

I do have a question for you, are you keeping the sex of the new baby a surprise from us, or a surprise altogether? Hope that's not too personal.

Also, love your thoughts on Christmas and we are doing the same in our house.

Take care and God bless!

Kim (marygracesummons.blogspot.com) said...

Hi, It's Kim. We are not finding out the sex of the baby. We were surprised with Kailey and Allison and only found out Mary Grace was a girl because of the circumstances. I probably would break down and find out this time as I am more curious but my husband for sure doesn't want to know and keeps me strong!!:) Thanks!

Rachel said...

Blessings on your new baby and on your baby Mary Grace in heaven. I too struggled with how to include our daughter Felicity (in heaven for two months) in our Christmas letters. We ended up taking a picture of our family with me holding an 8x10 picture of Felicity. I also included her name at the end of our Christmas letter and in paranthesis wrote "in Jesus' arms."
May you have joy and peace in your heart this CHRISTmas even as you hurt for your daughter's absence!

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hey Kim, I love coming here this morning and seeing you here. I am thankful all the prayers are being felt by you. And I love that you are keeping the baby's "identity" a secret. I love this kind of surprise and am so glad the girls got to share in the ultra sound. I continue to pray Gods blessings all over your family.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Just Me said...

I think that's neat that you are going to be surprised about the new baby's gender. I have not had to make that decision, but really think I would like to be surprised too :o) Stay strong!

Take care,
Amanda

Debbie said...

Kim,

I am so glad to hear that is all is going well. I am anxious for you all. We struggled with pictures last year. I have always taken pictures with them in a sleigh in front of the tree wearing hats. So last year, I wanted to include Walker. I tried it with a picture and then a picture with a hat. Nothing felt like I was including him. I finally settled on having the small hat hanging on the back of the sleigh. We knew he was part of the picture and it was very sweet. This year we decided to have the kids hold a stuff animal. The stuff animals were ones given to Walker that each of them kept for themselves. I know that I can look at the picture and know that Walker was included. I have not decided how to sign there names yet. And I am still working on how to answer the how many childern question also. You are always in my prayers. Thank you for the sweet example of a faithful daugther of God.

Love, Debbie

Meredith K Beaupre said...

I check your blog regularly and am so glad to hear that the ultrasound went well! The pictures of Mary Grace's headstone are wonderful. It is a beautiful monument for her.
I cannot imagine the roller coaster your emotions must ride regularly and I cannot imagine how hard it is for you to answer the question of how many children you have. If I were asking someone that question, and they had kids on earth and in Heaven, I think a response like "I have 2 girls here with me and one in Heaven" would satisfy my curiosity, and most importatnly express to me the level of love that momma has for all of her babies.
My sister and I had an older sister who passed away before either of us were born. She lived three wonderful years, but was born with the birth defect Encepholaceal (sp?). The question gets asked to me about how many siblings I have and, even as an adult now, I still sometimes struggle with the answer. I want to acknowledge her presence and life but I don't want to make people uncomfortable with the situation. Usually when people ask, I just tell them I have one other sister but, like you, I feel that I haven't done justice. I will sometimes just explain it plainly and that usually helps, though often times people don't know what to say.
I hope that you are able to find a way to express to people how many precious babies you have and that your chosen phrases allow you to feel like you've said all you want to say. After all, these are your babies and your life and it's most important that you acknowledge Mary Grace in the way most important to you.
We will continue to pray for you and your family. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Kim-
Mary Grace's headstone is breath-taking. You continue to amaze me - your strength, your faith and just you being you. God Bless you all.

Love,
Brigid

Rachel said...

I have been wondering where you were and was about to email another T-18 mommy to see if she had heard from you. So glad to hear all is going well with the pregnancy and your newest little one. Praying as you celebrate the holidays with a heart full of joy and hope and yet still missing your sweet Mary Grace.
Hugs and Prayers
Rachel in PA

Angie said...

It is so good to hear from you, Kim! I'm so glad that the sickness is subsiding, and I hope that you have a great next few months. I am still praying for you and this baby and the whole family... like you said, even if we don't talk or email as much, we still remain in each other's hearts! I'm so glad that ya'll are doing so many wonderful things this Christmas season. I know exactly what you mean... it just makes everything more meaningful. I'm loving it as well!

Kim said...

What an amazing and beautiful head stone! And, congratulations!! Mary Grace will be a big sister!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that everything is going well with the pregnancy. You looked so good at Thanksgiving. I love your thoughts about giving for Christmas. It does give such a great feeling of peace. I also loved that you included pictures of Mary Grace's headstone. It is beautiful! I think of you every day.
Love,
Christy

Kelly said...

Hello Kim,

I have been thinking about you a LOT lately! Praying, praying and praying some more for your entire family!

I posted a few weeks ago about the whole christmas card ordeal! I decided to skip out on Christmas cards this year - instead of spening money on them we are putting the money in some envelopes and taking it to the NICU at Childrens Mercy Hospital on Christmas eve - we though this money would really help some of the families spending christmas eve at the hospital, next to their precious baby. I felt pressure to send out my typical card/letter, but it just doesn't feel the same to me anymore. I didn't even take a family picture because Libby would be absent and that would be too painful for me at this time. Plus we figured people normally just trash the card right after the holiday anyway - might as well give that money away instead of throw it away! I still sign all of my letters/cards/etc with ALL of our names. I just put Libbys name last..ususally something like this : In His Grace,
Brett, Kelly, Aspen, Cheyenne and Angel Baby Liberty

I cannot wait to find you what you are having!! We are super excited for you and your beautiful family. I love Mary Grace's monument! SO PRECIOUS AND SO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you are having a good day today - keep in tough. God bless.
Kelly Turner

Karen said...

I love that you updated everyone :) I still haven't done my cards!...we do a letter every year and this year, my brain is just not putting anything together. When talking about my boys I say "I have 3 boys: 2 here and one in heaven." No need to feel yucky about it....it is what it is.....is it sad but if it makes you feel worse leaving her out then it is worth the yuckiness. We sign our cards with The Fahmers- Jason, Karen, Joshua, Jonathan & (a heart around) JR....when I do finally get my cards out, you'll see :)

Love you...call me sometime.

Karen

Anonymous said...

We wrote out our family's names and then added our our baby's name in ( )like this.Mark,Muffy,Nathan,Seth,Esther,Matthew,Bethany,Jonathan,Cherith and (Thomas,with Jesus),___________.God bless,I know how hard the "How many children question is."We lost our son due to a cord accident during birth.He was stillborn.

Katie said...

Merry Christmas Summons family. Continuing to keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Kenzie said...

Just wanted to say an official blogging MERRY CHRISTMAS! I love you and know that we keep playing phone tag- it will happen one of these days. Also, wanted to talk to you about ME coming to Dallas... YAY! Love you and am SO thankful for your precious family and Mary Grace. I LOVED the card... now I can't wait to hear all the story :) Dusty thought it was awesome too.

Praying for you and that little one growing too.

Blessings & love,
Kenz

Just Me said...

Merry Christmas to the Summons Family!

Amanda

Laurie in Ca. said...

Just thinking about you and all my girls this morning. I hope your Christmas was a wonderful one and full of love. I love you and am praying for you sweet friend. I just wanted to let you know.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

connie said...

Just thinking of you tonight. I hope you are doing OK, and found energy to enjoy Christmas with your girls and your husband.
love you, connie

Jenny said...

thinking of you and still praying. with love, jenny

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I have been thinking about you and praying for you.

Happy 1 year in heaven, Mary Grace!!

Lots of love
Ashley

www.caringbridge.org/visit/faithwebb

Cathy said...

Praying for your peace tomorrow and your aching heart! Can't imagine and truly have not words to ease your pain.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you and your sweet family as you face the one year birthday of sweet Mary Grace. I have followed your story from the beginning and have posted only a few times. Praying that you find joy in the day as you celebrate your sweet baby girl tomorrow! ~Melissa

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Mary Grace!

Blessings to you all as you celebrate this day filled with so many emotions.

I'm praying today & always,

Beth,
Michigan

Erica said...

Happy Birthday, Mary Grace! I hope you enjoy spending your birthday with Jesus! I know that cake must be fabulous! :) Praying for your Mommy, Daddy and big sisters who wish they could celebrate with you!

The VW's said...

Thinking of you today, and praying for you as well. May God give you strength, peace and hope!

Corinne said...

I'm thinking of you and praying for you and your family today. Happy Birthday Mary Grace!!! You are so beautiful!

Betsy McK said...

Thinking of you as you celebrate the 1 yr. birth of Mary Grace. May God fill you with his overwhelming peace and love today!

Corie said...

Happy Birthday Mary Grace...Kim, praying for you all today as you celebrate/remember/reflect/think upon her first entry into the world and launched into eternity. Praying you feel His strength. What an amazing women you are.

AllTheKingsBlessings said...

Happy Birthday to Mary Grace! We think of her and pray for your family a lot!

Susie (So Blessed) said...

Sweet Mary Grace continues to bless many lives...my prayers are with you today.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Praying for you today Kim as you celebrate Mary Grace's 1st birthday. I will always remember how she touched my heart with her footprints. I love you Kim.

Love and Hugs, Laurie

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking of and praying for you all day today. Happy birthday to Mary Grace!

All my love,
Christy

Just Me said...

Happy Birthday Mary Grace!

Kim, praying for you and your family.

Amanda

Erin said...

Happy birthday, sweet Mary Grace!

connie said...

I hope you are doing well today, Kim.
I miss hearing from you.
connie