Friday, December 14, 2007

Can't sleep

When I got in bed tonight, miraculously I wasn’t focusing on Mary Grace. We had watched a movie, got into bed and was talking about something not related to this pregnancy! Then…. Chris turned out the light and the thoughts immediately came rushing in. How does that happen? One minute fine, the very next a nut case. I was having a break down with all the thoughts jumping from one thing to another and I had to get out of bed for fear of keeping Chris awake and/or having to talk about my feelings that I have no idea how to explain. So…I had to come check on my friends and try to maybe write some thoughts down. Who knows where this is going to go????

There are times that I have to stop and think, is this really happening? Is this a bad dream that just seems real? Then when I actually get myself together the reality hits me that I am 32 weeks pregnant and I not preparing to raise my 3rd daughter. How do I accept this? I had a pretty productive day cleaning the house, getting laundry caught up and the thought occurred, am I nesting? Then it hits me that I had that energy today that I had with Kailey then with Allison but what is it for today? Then honestly I felt bitter, I felt bitter that my “nesting” energy is used on my every day laundry not on preparing a nursery for Mary Grace or getting her things washed with Dreft for her to wear when she comes home. What in the world is happening, how can I possibly be okay with this?

Then I think about parents who have 2, 3 and 4 year olds that have cancer, for some reason can’t walk all of the sudden and have to go through testing or have just simply lost there children tragically. And I think, Oh God please don’t ever let that happen to me/us – I know that I could not handle that – I could not give up my girls- no can’t do that, can’t handle anything major happening to them!! I had even said when I first learned that this baby could have t-18, before I knew it was a girl, before I knew her as my Mary Grace, that if it was in my life’s story to have to lose a child, then I would rather lose this one than Kailey or Allison. And just thinking those thoughts and saying those words actually makes me sick, it breaks my heart. To even have to be in a position to think that is unbearable. It makes me feel guilty in ways I can’t explain but the thought of Mary hearing me say those words or think those thoughts kill me. I want her to know that I love her, I want her, I want to keep her, I want to raise her, I want to rock her and sing to her every night like I have Kailey and Allison. I want her to wear the outfits that I have loved on Kailey and Allison, I want to have the family room junked with baby toys so I can complain about the mess all of the time, I want to lose cabinet space to her baby food and sippy cups….the list goes on and on. But…the house structure will not change, there will be no baby room for Mary, toys will stay in the toy room…things will look the same, I will even look the same eventually. But…the truth is…the house will not be the same, I will not be the same, we will not be the same because although we are still praying for a miracle, realistically we will not get to keep Mary Grace with us. And even though I would rather have had Mary Grace with us for a moment than not at all, it still breaks my heart, I still feel sad, I still feel anger and it will break my heart to give her up…..even to Jesus.

Keep praying for me please, and even though this entry may not look like it, God is carrying us and helping us through this time. I never want it to look like he is not with us because he truly is – his grace is sufficient and we do have joy in our hearts. Moral of this story don’t write at 1:20 a.m. in the midst of a break down!!

13 comments:

Kenzie said...

Kim-

It's not a break down, it's a break-away... from all of the expectations, hopes, plans and future with a child that we might never get to take home from the hospital. The Lord is with you, no doubt, through all of the anger, bitterness, fear, and finally resolve to give it all to Him. Know that I am praying for you and Miss Mary Grace~ for that peace and hope that can truly only come from Him.

Love you!
Kenzie

Tracy said...

You are so much stronger than you think. It's okay to have a "break down". I think it's really healthy for you to let your feelings out and write them down.

I admire your courage, strength, and faith. I will be praying for you and your sweet family

Rhondi said...

Thank you for opening up your heart & sharing your thoughts. I'm praying for you & your darling baby girl.

Emily said...

Do write at 1:20 a.m. Always write when your heart threatens to explode. That's where I've found God more times than I can tell you. And honestly, this blog looks MORE like God carrying you than any other time. Because you're free to weep and question and you're transparent about your fear. It's okay to be afraid... so long as you know your fear is extinguished in the light of God. Don't try to figure out tomorrow or even the whys of today. Just breathe in and breathe out. That's enough. If you need to nest for Mary, do it. If you want to paint her room - or your living room for that matter - pink then you go ahead and do it. I can tell you firsthand that coming home to a house that was not prepared for a baby, even when your arms are empty, is not comforting either. Keep following hard after God's heart. He's big enough to handle all your questions... and tantrums... and fears. He's big enough, Kim. He's big enough.

I'm not so small or weak myself and I'm just a phone call away. Let's exchange phone numbers... especially for those 1:00 a.m. conversations. Heaven knows I rarely understand my thoughts either, but we can bounce them off each other. :)

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you and don't ever hesitate to write what's on your heart. What one of us reading wouldn't go through the same emotions?? I know I would. We don't understand what happens after this...that's where faith comes in and not everyone has a grasp on that. I would struggle with it too. I would dwell on it and probably freak out. But, I have been made aware that we have to chose how to react. Talking or writing helps. Surround yourself with people of faith and mentors. People who have gone through great obstacles and found their way through the fire with Jesus...My mom heart breaks for you, I want you to have what you want, all the things in your dreams for Mary. Jesus can carry your family, He wants to. My prayer for you is that you will cling to Him and He will hold you up. He wants to give us hope and a future. CL

Laurie in Ca. said...

Kim,

This post was anything but a breakdown from where I read. Bless your heart for writing it out here where you can trust God to carry you and for us to pray for you. These aren't words of a lack of faith, they are words from an aching mothers heart for her unborn child. Honor your feelings so you know what they are and then give them to Jesus to take care of. I love that He already knows our hearts cries, every single one. He just wants us to agree and let Him help bear the burden. I will continue praying for peace for you and for hope for Mary grace. She knows you love her. Please follow your heart and nest until it feels safe again. I love your heart.

Laurie in Ca.

vim+dash said...

just want you to know all your thoughts are so normal and so understandable. praying for you... please let me know if i can do anything for you and if i can pray specifically for things you might not want to post.

love,
boothe

conorbootheandgirls.blogspot.com

So Blessed said...

Prayers continue for your precious family. May you be blessed with the peace and joy of this holy season.

Angie said...

Kim,

I'm so glad you are willing to be honest! I think the real breakdown would come from refusing to admit what you are feeling because you are trying so hard to conform to what you think you should be feeling.

The truth is, I think you would be abnormal if you didn't think and feel everything you expressed. I know I certainly did! But you are right, even when you feel those things, God is still carrying you. I know He will because I have seen Him work in my life. Love you and praying for you!

Angie

Kara said...

I have been following your story, led here somehow...can't remember. I think your post is just how you feel and that is okay. God gave us feelings and He is with you during all of those you are feeling right now. I don't understand what you are going through, but I am praying for you! Prayers from OK going up to heaven for you and your family.

Kara
sahm22boys.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kim,

When sleep escapes you because your mind won't stop racing and your heart won't stop hurting, please feel free to turn to this blogosphere community that is praying and routing for you. Every emotion you describe is so very natural and you needn't feel guilty for the inevitable emotional roller coaster that this journey will take you on. You know that your beloved daughter Mary Grace is sick. It is not a sin to hope and pray that your other children and loved ones will stay well and healthy. It doesn't mean that you love Mary Grace one ounce less. It is ok to feel blessed and lucky one moment, then cheated and devastated the next. And it's always ok to lean on others for support, for advice or just to vent. Count mine as just one more ear out here listening and one more heart praying for you and your wonderful family.

vim+dash said...

hi kim-
just wanted you to know i was thinking of you. i saw that kenzie posted on here too... isn't it wild how a community of believing people who are suffering as you are can find you through something like the internet? i'm so glad you have others to lean on and lean into. hope you are having a good day today (december 19)... i know each one is different. sometimes i think the season before copeland's birth was the hardest. please e-mail me if you ever need to vent.

blessings-
boothe

Anonymous said...

Kim-
I found you blog when reading Emilys (Miller Grace's mommy); I hope you don't mind. I can relate to you, having lost my twins girls to T18. Your feelings are comletely "normal"- whatever "normal" really means. I don't think there really is a "normal" to this journey, but from what I've learned, many of us moms have the same feelings you've described. You aren't alone in this. God is with you and so are the many moms out here that are praying for you, your family, and your precious baby Mary. Hang in there. I'm here if you need a friend.
~Stephanie, mommy to twin angels Abigail Marie and Emily Elizabeth
www.trisomy18.org/goto/abigailandemily
sbgtall@yahoo.com