Thursday, January 24, 2008

How am I?

Besides the day I had to give Mary Grace to the Lord, this has been my hardest day yet. I guess with the pain meds, traveling to Kentucky and making preparations, my mind was somewhat distracted from the loss – the realness of it all. Now that I am back home and still recovering from surgery (which is a peace of cake compared to the emotional) I have time to reflect on what has happened.

How can I be a Mother of three, giving birth to three babies and only have 2 running around here? What on earth has happened? I find myself starring at pictures of Mary Grace to realize she was real. I sat at the computer today with a picture pulled up of Mary grace to the largest degree and traced my mouse over her every detail in hopes I could feel her on my finger tips – to no avail. I asked my Mom the question today whether she thought it would be harder to lose a baby or a grown child. Of course the answer is either would be too much for anyone to bear. I thought for sure my answer would be a child I have got to know and raise –but after losing Mary Grace and in reading one woman’s story who buried her 22 year old daughter, who was helping a person with the loss of an infant said she thought it would be tougher to lose an infant because she got to know her daughter, experience her, go through all her “firsts”. It seems true to me right now…but of course losing any child is unbearable and not comparable at all to the other. I went to Wal-Mart today for the first time, it stunk……every child I saw I wondered what Mary Grace would be like at that age. I was not in need of any baby supplies like I should be. I will NEVER get to pack Mary up in an infant car seat and take her to Wal-Mart for everyone to ooh and aahh over. When Kailey Mae was little, EVERYONE stopped me and commented on her….she was totally bald, ears that perfectly stuck out with the biggest blue eyes ever. Everyone talked about her big beautiful blue eyes. Then Allison was so chubby that everyone stopped me and wanted to pinch her rolls. How awesome it is to show off your angels. How I ache to take Mary Grace to the mall in a nice new stroller and diaper bag and have people tell me how PERFECT her nose is. Man she has the most perfect nose I have ever seen. And if for an instant she leaves my thought, my milk lets down and reminds me she is nowhere for me to pick her up and feed her. Oh how I loved breast-feeding Kailey and Allison. I will never have that with my sweet precious Mary Grace.

Kailey must be feeling the same as me. She has had several sad moments lately. Pray for her heart. She said tonight while crying that she knew Mary is in a better more fun place but she missed her and wanted her. We cried together and I told her I felt the same way. Although I know Mary Grace is in a better place and happier than we can imagine, I WANT HER back!!! And I told Kailey that God could not have given us such a perfect gift, then take her to be with him and expect us to not be sad or even mad about it sometimes. He is our Father – he knows….he felt the same way when he watched people torment his only Son, spit in his face, beat him – he knows this heartache. I think she felt better knowing that it’s okay for her to want Mary Grace to be with us and not in Heaven.

It was my 10th year wedding anniversary today. We watched our wedding video with Mom and the girls. We have had some trials in our 10 years…a bad car accident where we could have lost Chris and it took him 6 months to recover from, a loss of a baby early in pregnancy and losing Mary Grace. But I could not mention the hard things without telling of HIS blessing upon us as well. We have a beautiful marriage (normal stuff of course) but man do we love each other, we have had three beautiful children, two who are still with us and are PERFECT for us, hand picked for us to love, a beautfiul home, a wonderful family and the list could go on and on. I love Chris more than ever and could not imagine having anyone else by my side.

But the day ends in sadness like every one for a while I suspect. I walk past my mirror and see that my belly is no longer pregnant and holding Mary Grace, and then I realize she is not in the other room in a bassinet instead of my belly. She is not sitting in a bouncy seat waiting for me to feed her. Oh my sweet Jesus help me!!!

I love my Lord but the verse that comes to mind tonight in closing this day is…
“My God My God, why have you abandoned me? Why so far from my call for help, from my cries of anguish? My God, I call by day, but you do not answer; by night, but I have no relief.” (Ps.22:2-3)

As I go to bed tonight, I will pray the prayer I have prayed every night but have yet been granted. This is that God would take me to Mary Grace in my dreams, let me hold her the whole night, let me feel her on my skin. Please pray this for me. I need it. She went to be with the Lord on Jan 14th 2:15 p.m. I held her that day and slept with her that night with her face against mine the whole night, I had her until around 1:30 on the 15th. That was one of the best nights of my life. Oh how I love my Mary Grace, I long for her and feel no relief.

This is how I feel my sweet friends who are asking and caring and loving me/us. I am finding it hard to talk to anyone on the phone – I am sorry. E-mail is good right now. It’s easier for me. I love you all and thank you for understanding. Everyone who has and is signed up for meals, thank you – I can’t tell you how lifting that burden of “what’s for dinner?” has helped my Mom and me. Thank You.

With love,Kim

31 comments:

Gram said...

my heart hurts for you. your feelings and emotions are OK. expressing them will help you heal. God bless you and your sweet family. j

Jen in Al said...

thank you for sharing with such honesty what you are feeling. you are a wonderful mommy! Mary Grace is so beautiful! i feel i can better pray for you knowing where you are on your journey. i am a mommy too and my heart is soooo heavy for you. know you are being covered in prayer by so many. Jesus is holding you even if the pain makes it hard to feel HIm. he is there...jen in al

JEN said...

i am so sorry for your loss. our 2nd daughter catti was stillborn at 41w almost a year ago (jan 30th) and we are christians also. it's been such a hard year, and it makes me so sad to read of your experience and remember so vividly what feels like was just yesterday. i am always here if you ever need a fellow mama in christ to talk to who has walked this same path. my heart to yours.

JEN

Chrissy said...

I cannot hold back the tears after reading this. I can't help but feel angry for you and what you have gone through. I said in my one post that of all the moms that I was following you were the one I compared myself to. I know that none of these T18 cases are the same but Mary Grace and Eva are both girls, Maddox had the T18 & Spina Bifida, Poppy Joy had the T18 & Hydrocephaly and Tristan is a boy. I wanted Mary Grace to beat all the odds. Not that if she had that would mean that Eva would too but it would have given me a refined sense of hope and comfort. I have to say that this is hard for me. Witnessing the loss of Jonathan, Poppy, Mary and Maddox before I even deliver is the hardest, scariest of this so far. I do not want my pregnancy to end...Praying for you as always, please continue to pray for me. Love, Chrissy

Angie said...

Kim,

Oh, how I hurt with you and for you! I loved what you told Kailey, that Jesus would not give you something so perfect and then expect you not to grieve! Remember that. Grieving is so vital. Keep giving Him all of it-the hurt, the anger, the frustration, and everything else. He's the only one who can bear it all and He is the only one who can heal!

Laurie in Ca. said...

Kim,

My heart aches for you as I read your words of such honesty from a mothers broken heart. I am begging Jesus to lift you up and be your strength right now. As I am a mother who nursed twin sons many years ago and loved every moment of it, it broke my heart all over again to read about your milk letting down, such an intimate reminder of what should be, but is not. God help you sweet friend, I know He will but it will take time. I will continue praying for you as you deal with all that you have been through as you try to go forward from here. You have my heart Kim, and it is broken for you. It blessed my heart to know you spent the night with this sweet angel, a heavenly sleep over.
Happy Anniversary too and may God draw you both closer together than you ever thought possible.

Love, Laurie in Ca.

mckennah said...

i dont know you, i linked here from the many sweet families that i have found through boothe farley. i am so sorry for your loss. mary grace is a sweet sweet baby and i can only imagine how much you miss her. thank you for the honesty in your post.

Anonymous said...

Kim,

I know we have never "met" but I have been praying for you and your family. May God continue to comfort your heart and give you the strength you need in the upcoming days, weeks and even years.

Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God. Not only is this my life verse but it is also a daily prayer. I pray the Lord continues to show Himself to you. I pray for your sweet daughters that their tender hearts will be protected and filled with His love.

In His Grip,
Tori - PA

Kim said...

Bless your heart-my heart aches when I read what you've poured from your heart to share. I, too, am the mother of 3 and married for 10 years. I cannot imagine what you must be going through. I am so sorry for your loss. I hope God makes your "dream" come true.
Kim

Emily said...

hey sweet friend.

know I am here, I understand, and if you do need to talk, at ANY hour of the day, you can call me. I remember how hard it was to speak though, so if you want to email, email me a novel and just let it all go. I can take it. ;) I love you, I ache for you, and I am lifting you up. give yourself permission to cry, sleep, eat, laugh, weep, whatever you need to do, even if it's riding your bicycle down the street in a yellow polka dot bikini. :) only you know what you need.

i'll be right here and i promise you every day will not be this hard. promise.

oh, and I think you're right. I believe God weeps with us. he created us and he knows our hearts well enough to know we could have never held such beautiful little girl for a little while, then let them go forever. it's right to be sad. so stay there as long as you need.

and when you're ready for some fried mushrooms, give me a call. ;)

Rebecca (Ramblings by Reba) said...

Oh, Kim...

We love you. I'm still praying...

Rebecca

Unknown said...

Kim -
I am praying for you, Chris, Kailey and Allison - morning, noon, night and in between. I heart aches for you. I am always here if and when you need me any hour/time of they day or night. I love you girl....

Love,
Brigid

KrazyMom said...

I am speechless. What you are going through seems more than any mother should ever have to bear! My heart is breaking for the pain you are feeling.

Holding all of you up in prayer.
((hugs))
-Kelly in MI

Anonymous said...

Kim,

My heart aches for you and your family. You are being lifted up to our Father and I pray you find the peace that only He can give. Mary Grace is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing her, and yourself, so freely with those of us you have never met, and may never meet this side of Heaven. God bless you and your family.

Cathy said...

I can only sit and cry for the pain of the loss you feel. I know you know she is in a better place, but it doesn't console the ache your arms must feel. I will pray that each night God will take you in your dreams to hold your precious Angel and smell her sweet smell.
Praying for your pain,
Cathy & Annabel

Devin said...

Kim,

I can relate to the whole 'not being able to talk on the phone' thing. When I had my miscarrige, I can remember it being so fresh....even weeks later....and the only way that I could communicate was either thru my husband or by email. Even when I was having a 'good' day, I would try to open my mouth and the tears would just flow. A 'good' day could easily dissovle into one of the worst ones. You don't have to be apologetic about not being able to talk--it is understandable. I know our situations are different in many ways, but please know that I understand some of you pain, and am aching for you today after reading your post. God is still good--I know that you know that in your head, it is just hard during these times to feel that in your heart.

Thank you for being so translucent about your feelings and emotions. Your story is touching hearts and lives all over the place....many you may never even know about.

Praying,
Devin in Illinois

Kim said...

Oh, sweet Kim. I am praying for you.

StephW said...

We have never met. I happened upon your blog. My heart is saddened with the loss of your precious Mary Grace. I too know this loss. Almost 6 years ago, I lost my sweet Emma Bell. She was born with T18 as well. She lived 19 days. We absolutely rejoiced that we were able to take her home. Hearing your pain brings back so many memories of her death. I am so sorry. I can't even put into words how I ache for you and your family. As I wiped away my tears after reading your post today, I had to pray that God would just comfort you. It is so great that you have others that can relate to what it is like to carry a T18 baby. When I was going through my pregnancy, I had no where to turn none of my friends or family had even heard of it. I want you to know that my heart goes out to you. I too will be married 10 years in June and have 3 girls but only have 2 running around the house. Not a day goes by that I don't long to hold her and feel her soft skin. Thank you for sharing your story with others!
Steph in MS

So Blessed said...

I will be praying for God to grant your heart's desire to hold Mary Grace in your dreams...I understand your need of that because my sister is praying the same prayer, to see her son's face. I am so very sorry for your pain and sorrow...please know that so, so many of us who don't know you personally are lifting you up during this most difficult time.

Anonymous said...

I am so thankful that you were able to hold your sweet baby girl in your arms all night after she went to be with our Lord. My heart is in prayer for you and your family

Melissa

Anonymous said...

Another stranger here who has followed your story and is grieving with you. Lean heavily on those dear friends you have made who have shared your experience--I suspect that when one of you is down, another will be "up" and able to help you along. With all the "yuck" that is on the internet, what a gift that you all have found each other. A club that no one wants to join, but the depth of these women who share your journey is amazing, and you WILL all make it through.
Has anyone done anything for your older girls? I would love to send them a little something--I have a couple of extra Webkinz hanging out in my closet. You can reach me via email at bedrockfd@gmail.com when you feel like it.
Lori C.
Salem, VA

Melanie said...

Kim,
I can not even begin to imagine what you and your family are going through. My heart hurts so badly for you! It's okay to grieve. It's okay to have all the emotions you are having. You do what makes YOU feel better! I will continue to pray for you!
Happy Anniversary and I pray that this difficult time will bring you even closer than before!
God Bless!
With Love,
Melanie Smith

Just Me said...

I am sorry to hear about your "hardest day" and pray that sharing your feelings helped. I also think that what you told your daughter was perfect. I will have to remember to share that with others experiencing grief and loss.

It is nearly midnight and so I am saying an extra prayer that you are experiencing the dreams you have prayed for.

May God bless you and your family.

Anonymous said...

WE HAVE THE PRIVILEGE OF GOING BEFORE THE VERY THRONE OF GOD ALMIGHTY!

There's much comfort in that.

Bobbie said...

I have been following your story also. I too have lost a baby. It has been 8 months. I can relate to your feelings. I feel them too. Thank you for sharing. It is awesome that you can do that. Sharing your feelings and getting them out is what is going to help you. The days hard yes, I know this. And if you have to get angry you go right ahead and do that also. I really can't offer any advice about how to get through something like this because I don't feel as though anyone gets through this. Even though I have been going through this. Everyone has their own way. I do know pictures, music, and just looking at things that belonged to my son helped me and talking. I still call up my best friend and we talk for hours about Johnathan. I felt for a while that it was a dream and that it never happened. Just talking with her or my husband validated that yes, he was here and he did exist. So, talk and write to your heart's content. Believe me on that one it really helps and it will hurt so bad for awhile that you may not be able to find the words. But, just keep trying.

I know God has a purpose for all of us and why he CHOSE us to be mothers of these special children that he let us borrow for a little while. While I may not know right now what that purpose is. And I know that may sound generic to some people but, that keeps me going. To know that he is up in Heaven waiting to welcome me some day and show me the ropes that is a blessing to me.

Thank you so much for sharing. You are awesome! Not alot of people can get on here and open their hearts and let someone have a peek inside.

Many prayers for you.

Bobbie

Mrs. D said...

Praying for you!

KYnurse said...

I can't imagine what you are feeling right now. My heart aches for you and your loss. I realize every day how fortunate I am. I will continue to remember you in my prayers that you will go to that place where you can be with her again all night in your dreams. May his peace and loving arms surround you and fill you with love. God Bless.

Laurie in Ca. said...

Hi Kim,

I am just checking in this weekend to let you know you are in my heart and I am praying for your heart to be filled each day with Gods peace as you work through the grief. I hurt for you and for Kenzie too. I ask Him to make this time bearable for both of you and to carry you through.

Love and Hugs, Laurie in Ca.

Anonymous said...

Kim and Chris,

Throughout this week, your entire family has been in my prayers. Going to work, at work, after work driving home. Again and again, I knew that the emptiness of your arms that yearned to hold Mary Grace and grief would be overwhelming for you both. I just kept praying to God that he would sustain you both through it all.

I could see pictures of Mary Grace in my head and my heart would ache that you had such a short time with her. Then I would remember, as Edwin has said many times to me 'You need to thank God for the time Mary Grace was given.'

Yes, I thank God that you had the precious hours with Mary Grace.
Our God is an Awesome God! Who am I to question him?

I will continue to pray for your entire family and for all the families of the T18 babies. God Bless You and Keep You.

Rachel said...

Just wanted to let you know my heart goes out to you as you miss your sweet Mary Grace and long to hold her. I am praying that God will comfort you and bless you with a wonderful dream of your little girl this evening. Praying for God's grace as you heal both physically and emotionally.
Rachel in PA

SnodsAbroad said...

I lost my baby girl, Priya, on Jan. 1, 08, to fetal hydrops. She was born the day before and lived 14 hours. Today I just discovered the many blogs that tell of stories similar to mine. It's incredibly encouraging to hear from "fellow sufferers." I hurt with you. You can read Priya's story on our blogpage http://snodsabroad.blogspot.com